Excerpt from Quick Steps to Financial Stability
- Alan Lavine and Gail Liberman
Over the next few months, Alan Lavine & Gail Liberman's column will consist of excerpts from their new book from Quick Steps to Financial Stability, (QUE Publishing 2006).Once you've a handle on how to cut your expenses and hence freed up some cash for investing in your future, here are some ideas from Alan and Gail on how to beef up your income.
- Ask your employer for a hard-earned raise. Visit www.careerjournal.com to document average wages for your line of work. Gather hard numbers to present to your employer.
- Research which employers in your area pay the most and seek a higher paying job.
- Rent out a room of your home or get a roommate.
- Take on an additional part-time job.
- Make certain you're getting all the tax breaks possible.
- Check out the IRS withholding calculator at www.irs.gov to determine whether you might increase your income by taking fewer deductions on IRS Form W-4.
- Search www.missingmoney.com to see if you inadvertently left behind any assets anywhere---perhaps in safe deposit boxes, forgotten financial accounts, or with previous employers.
You can purchase Alan Lavine & Gail Liberman's latest book Quick Steps to Financial Stability (QUE Publishing 2006) online at www.moneycouple.com or at your local bookstore.
To read more columns, please visit the column archive.
|[ top ]|